Previous Formations

Monday, August 6, 2007

Second Evan

EVAN ALMIGHTY

WASHINGTON, DC – As you, oh faithful reader, may know by now, I abhor films that take a traditional value and spin it towards modern pseudo-ethics. Especially when they involve some pop-culture instant-mix moral which will disappear as fast as it was emblazoned across the top of your Yahoo! Mail screen. And so, I admit that I thought EVAN ALMIGHTY (PG, Mild Rude Humor, Some Peril) would fall quickly into this category, especially when getting a load of the tv trailer, where his (cool) wife utters the phrase, “Perhaps He meant a flood of awareness!”

Little did I know, it’s his response to that thought which completed the message.

So when The Cutie In My Life told me she wanted to hear about this film, I added it to my list—enthusiastically.

She’s that cute.

And I am happy to tell you, that Evan Almighty totally dupes the archetype. PC Hollywood groupthink, and even flippant Biblical inaccuracy. This film is a rare, genuine, insightful message that will even get the highschoolers who sat next to me to think about the latter portion of it’s namesake. It’s refreshing.

The premise is different than you think. But not modernized to the point of sterilization. Evan Baxter, played by Steve Carrell, begins the film in his familiar News Anchor perch, but this time bidding his eyewitnesses goodbye as he has won a seat in Senate. Besides the brilliantly subtle role of God, again presented by Morgan Freeman (yet disturbingly saddled with the question, dontcha think God would have cleaner teeth?), this is the only connection to Bruce Almighty, and it goes away fast. What ensues is a very unique way to bring to current times an age old piece of history—Noah’s Ark. But I tell you: as someone who has studied the Bible in Grad School, this story not only dot’s the I’s with it’s unwillingness to damage Biblical record (and promises, hinthint), but it actually could happen. No, really. It could happen.


I’m of course being intentionally vague as I always am, because only by experiencing this journey can you appreciate it to the full. I will only leave you with these clues—in pairs, as is apropos:

- There will be a flood and it does rain.
- Lauren Graham, as Evan’s wife ( I kept going, “When did the Gilmore Girl get married?”), reacts to the situation very realistically and then gets help understanding.
- His job as Senator is not in center stage, but it is central.
- 1-800-Go-4-Wood, and 6:14 is a time to read.
- It is not a freaking flood of awareness, and it is not a freaking flood of awareness. Sorry, had to be blunt on that one.

This is one for the entire family. It is one to buy and watch on Holidays. It is one that you’ve got to believe that God Himself thinks is kinda clever. Sure, some of the main themes are watered down from the strictest of Christianity – (I believe the Director is Jewish, unless Shadyac is now an Italian name) but in this day and age, Evan Almighty stands tall as having faith that God can bring the rain.

And Oh, He does.

For five minutes.

--MvB

No comments: